Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Denver Pack, Bundle Fold, Metro-Fold? What does your department use when it comes time to get the hose ready to advance when all you have is the stairwell to do it in?

Views: 1322

Replies to This Discussion

we use high rise packs of 2" hose and solid bore nozzles
the first 3 engines bring one in
everyone else after that brings 100' roll-ups of 2-1/2" hose and solid bore nozzles
we assign a standpipe control man, sort of a pump operator on the floor below the fire. We will generally stretch the hose down into hallways below the fire rather than up the stairs above the fire. We had had instances where a fireball has blown out the hallway doors (wind-driven fire) and would have incinerated anyone on the upper landing. You have to be careful with that potential
sometimes it winds up spagfhetti, that is common i guess all over but as long as there are enough guys to manage the hose prior to advancing up the stairs, it has worked out well. we front load our high rise alarms and assing two companies to the 1st line (sometimes 3)
training on high rise stretches in real buildings is critical so personnel can see the challenges they are up against in a friendly environment rather than when the fire is blowing down the hallway at you
hope this helps
That is a great point about fire begin driven up the stairs!
Standpipe stretches from the floor below the fire that require the line to be charged prior to entry on the fire floor should be organized. Excess hose should be flaked out neatly on the landings and hallway below. You must make sure that the advance will not be hindered because of poor hose staging. When placing hose up the stairs and on to the landing above, the door to the fire floor is kept closed. However if the engine officer feels that it should not be flaked out that way then you must bring all the hose up from below. Engine companies should definetly practice the tactics that they might use when fire is in the public hall and there is a chance it can move beyond the entrance door and up the stairway.
good call ray
it is the officer in the area who hopefull y conducte a good size-up and reacts accordingly
hose can be stretched and flaked above the landing provided the fire is not about to blow out of the hallway
it is all about the size-up
stya safe brothers
pay attention -- soemtimes that is the difference
Mike, first of all, I looked up "the bundles" on you tube and shared it with my station. We thought it looked pretty cool and tried it in the back stairwell at Station 4 and found that it worked pretty much as advertised. The only modification that we tried was to make the pack about 8 ft long instead of 6 ft. This made it easier to carry in the opinion of the three tailgunners on my truck. Are "the bundles" the same thing as a metro fold? What is the Denver pack?
Good to hear you guys tried the Metro or bundles (Yes, they are the same). The Denver pack, when finished look much like the Bundles and can be carried exactly the same way. The Denver is a good method in that is allows the line to be laid out quickly. The best way I can describe it, without pictures is that.... well it would almost be impossible to describe it without pictures, let me see if I can find some footage of it.
I think it is only fair to share with the group that OKC has switched to the Denver Fold. We made this switch mainly because when I was testing the Metro-Fold I failed to test the deployment while opening the line from time to time. I had just deployed the entire run of hose and then opened the nozzle. What I found when we opened the nozzle mid way through the deployment the coils of the Metro lost their rigidity causing multiple small hose kinks. The Denver fold, though it doesn't deploy as easily, is simpler to teach and has less chance of kinks. In the future we are going to try somewhat of a hybrid where we use a denver fold except for the nozzle section and when we do, I'll give you all an update.

Stay safe
I must say I am partial to the FDNY fold over both Denver and the Metro. Denver is similar to FDNY in deployment both use a system of hose bundles or packs attached together in one location before deployment. FDNY high rise packs are very user friendly. Repacking the FDNY pack is very simple and always comes out evenly unlike the Denver fold. The Metro is a fold the can get you in trouble. It does look good on the video but this fold brings up operational considerations that must be looked into. Using the FDNY fold each firefighter carries their own pack without any assistance from another firefighter, they normally are carried over the shoulder. All the packs are placed along side each other and the couplings attached creating a completed hoseline,ready for attachment to the riser. I will try and post an article I did on this in WNYF.magazine..
Great to hear from you again Ray

I would love to see pictures of this deployment method.
Chief did you ever get any pictures for the Denver Fold?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0urJtaXFrE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rJYc4nrZS8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzv92F-KwcY&feature=related

Nate,

The three YouTube links will show how to fold the Denver and two different deployment tactics. Hope it helps
Men
Ray....you need to do a video on the stretch for standpipes. Please add in the importance of the inline gauge. I am a true believer of the system. It works. I believe, and use the FDNY rollups. Everyone should try them. The Denver roll is too heavy, and it does not allow for a easy and fool proof way of connecting up and stretching.
Lastly. I am writing this on the eve of a new president of the United States. The fire service was the only service he mentioned in his inaugreal address. I feel honored, and humbled. I pray my children have a great future, and the support that this President will offer. God bless all the Brothers and Sisters in all emergency services. Be safe,

Russ Chapman.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service