Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Denver Pack, Bundle Fold, Metro-Fold? What does your department use when it comes time to get the hose ready to advance when all you have is the stairwell to do it in?

Views: 1322

Replies to This Discussion

In OKC we've started using a fold called the Metro Fold. I got the concept from the other guys I teach with. They saw it on a web site from some guys out in California. Works like a champ. Come to find out Wichita KS. has been using it for quite some time.

It allows you to have up to 100 ft of hose, (2 1/2") charged and ready to go in a pretty small space. If anyone is interested, I've got some crude pictures from our use of it. In the next couple of weeks I should have some really good ones to share.
Yes very interested bro
I found a Youtube video that shows these loads very well. Go to YouTube and do a search on "The Bundles". There are about 3 different videos on how they use this type of load.
Mike
We use "Roll Ups" which really are folds. The key to this is to make sure that the Roll Ups are layed out the same, male female, male female on the apparatus floor concentrically when you make them up, so they will mate up when you go to connect them. It works great with all sizes of hose.
Do you have any pictures of your "Roll Ups?"
Mike
I will take some and get back to you.
That would be great, thanks.
Mike,

Are you interested in 2 1/2 hose packs, skid loads, high-rise packs or??????
2 1/2 inche high-rise packs mainly but any hose load that is different then what is in the books is okay too.
Mike,
In Boston, we're still using the traditional twin donut rolls. Each first in Engine Co is equiped with 200' of 2 1/2" hose that brought into the building for possible use. One alternative that some companies have been testing, is the use of the self-locking donut roll, to eliminate the need for a separate hose strap. For us, it's worked fairly well, because once untied, you have both ends of the hose right in front of you for easy deployment. The biggest hang-up I can think of off the top of my head is that fact that they do get heavy, and the hands do get tired after lugging these things. I am going to check out that Metro Fold, it sounds like a pretty good concept.
We use the FDNY standpipe fold 2 1/2 hose. This system works extremely well. No matter what fold you use you must know how to get the stretch done in the stairway in case you must charge the line before entering the fire floor.
Lt. McCormack can you describe the FDNY standpipe fold or give a link where we can see it?

Being from Denver, we obviously use the Denver fold, for those who do not know we have our hose packs set up in 50' horseshoe packs that are secured with 3 seperate straps. The packs work great while moving up & down stairs. The horseshoe can sit over your cylinder and your shoulder or just ride right on your cylinder. This leaves your hands free for carrying tools or the hi-rise bag and for using the hand railing. The way the pack rides on your cylinder also reduces your profile so working in the stairs is easier and people can pass on the stairs.

We have two set ups, one is 1 3/4" packs with a smooth bore with a 15/16" tip that we carry on box alarms and investigations and 2 1/2" with a smooth bore with break away stack tips that we use for fires in uncompartmentalized areas.

We will flake one section of line down the hall of the floor that we make our standpipe connection on and then flake hose out the remaining sections on the stairs up above the fire floor. This lets gravity help advance the charged line onto the fire floor. It works pretty good for us.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service