Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I could do nothing but stare and ponder……….

I had some running around to do before the FOOLS meeting last week.  I suppose because I was running from place to place, I didn’t think about what I was doing, just getting things done.  I didn't really think about it until yesterday as I was writing a condolence card to the family of Captain Walter C. Sumner of the Cranesville Volunteer Fire Department in Pennsylvania. Captain Sumner suffered a heart attack and passed away on January 24, 2012.  I hope he rests in peace.

You see, the Southside FOOLS have been writing these condolence cards on behalf of the International FOOLS for several years and it has been my task, my honor, to write these messages of condolence for the past three years.  As Billy G. says, “the beat goes on” and I continue to write, often through my tears.

I finished writing the card and opened the new box of envelopes that I had picked-up last week before the FOOLS meeting.  I could do nothing but stare at the full box of 250 envelopes and ponder.  It feels like just yesterday that I opened the last box of 250 cards and envelopes, all of those firefighters lost it seems, in the blink of an eye.  I hope this box stays full, foolish I know. The reality is, each one of these envelopes represents a future Line Of Duty Death and it breaks my heart to ponder that unfortunate truth.

Views: 425

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Comment by Michael Bricault (ret) on February 3, 2012 at 1:21am

-It fills me with pride to know that you are aware of and appreciate the honor done you as you continue to perform this duty. All to many times people go about performing these honors with no sense of cognition or awareness of the true privilege that is the very essence of these tasks.

-This is the very reason I always refer to the title HONOR Guard and not Color Guard.

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service