Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am interested in knowing how other departments operate in code 3 mode.
My department allows for 10 mph over the posted speed limit. We must stop at all Red lights before proceeding and altough not a department SOP or SOG I choose to not run code 3 on the freeway (unless the incident is on the freeway), I have found at times it can increase the response time due to confused drivers. What are your policies?

Views: 1584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-As Chief Halton has already explained, in the City of Albuquerque, the Fire Department policy for responding Code 3 limits the speed of apparatus to ten mph above the posted limit with road conditions permitting. If there are hazardous road conditions then the apparatus operator must exercise due regard and drive according to the hazard/conditions. Also, all apparatus are required to come to a full and complete stop at all intersections while responding Code 3 to insure the intersection is clear.
-What's more, fire apparatus are not allowed to buck/go against traffic unless the apparatus in question is within two blocks of the address they are responding to. Neither are Driver/operators are not allowed to "force" stopped vehicles through a traffic control device until the light changes in favor.
-On top of this, all major intersections in the city are equipped with an Opticom device that "see" emergency apparatus warning lights and changes the traffic control in favor of the responding apparatus.
-And as Chief Halton is aware, these initiatives have markedly reduced the amount of apparatus involved in accidents for the Fire Department; the cops are another issue.
-Not only is the department policy, it is state law which brings me to the next point. You may want to check what the state law is in your area. Many FD and POlice agencies think they know the law but not many of them really read it. Now the law and make your policy accordingly.
-In my area those responders that regularly violate this state law and city policy for responding Code 3 are those responsible for enforcing it... the city cops. Just goes to prove the point that most emergency responders do not actually familiarize themselves with the applicable laws in their jurisdiction. In fact, when asked, many cops are not even aware there is a law that governs Code 3 response.

i'm not so familiar with that way. but i know every department has their own way to operate in code 3. we can learn much from here. that's the advantages.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service