Where firefighters come to talk training

Here's a couple to get started

1. There are no time-outs or do-overs in this buisness
2. Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm -- Emerson
3. No one respects the flame like the fool who's badly burned -- Pete Townsend
4. To go nowhere, follow the crowd
5. It only takes a solitary light to lead a thousand ships in from the darkness
6. Anger is only 1 letter short of danger
7. Do not follow in the footsteps of others, instead, create a new trail and leave a path

many more to follow
stay safe

Views: 8192

Replies to This Discussion

Leadership is Action, Not a Position

Never let a "ROAD" (Retired On Actice Duty) Officer slow you down.
Tell me I will forget...show me I will remember....involve me I will understand. Don't know who said it but I like it.

This is one that thought up and am now using in some of my classes.

Leadership goes way beyond the bugles and the badges.
here's some new ones

Tough times don’t last
Tough people do.

Toughness is the ability to work outside one’s comfort zone.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity;
The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
--Churchill

EFFORT:
The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there.

3 Attributes of the successful leader:
1. Courage
2. Optimism
3. Resolution--that quality of mind that produces determination.

And finally,
SARCASM:
from the Greek “sarkzo”, meaning “to tear flesh”

that's all 4 now
stay safe
aa
One I heard today:

"Life is like a jar of Jalapenos - what you do today could burn your a$$ tomorrow."

Which in turn reminded me of one I heard along time ago and forgot about:

"The toes you step on today, might be connected to the a$$ you have to kiss tomorrow."
Here are a few good quotes that I have always like.

When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of work. ~Edward F. Croker

Courage can't see around corners, but goes around them anyway. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Courage is never to let your actions be influenced by your fears. ~Arthur Koestler

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

Some have been thought brave because they were afraid to run away. ~Thomas Fuller

Let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. Unknown
OK
let's add a few more

The secret to managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.
---Casey Stengel

Be not afraid of growing slowly
Instead be afraid of standing still.

We are continually faced by great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems.

If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Failure is not falling down, but staying down

OPPORTUNITY
You will miss 100% of the shots you never take

stay safe out there
aa
My favorite

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

When "Fire!" is cried and danger is nigh,"God and the firemen" is the people's cry; But when 'tis out and all things righted,God is forgotten and the firemen slighted
I heard one of the instructors use this before:

"If your not screwing something up, your either not working or not learning"
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in a moment of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy
"Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect" - VInce Lombardi

"Don't train until you get it right. Train until you can't get it wrong" - Author Unknown
Here's a couple that fly around the firehouse...

Know your job! Love your job!

100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress.

Ya can't make this sh@t up!

Do the right thing!

Make the building bahave!- Tommy Truck

Best job in the world!

Practice like you play!

Complacency kills firemen!

F@ck up! Buck Up! (Pay a dollar towards every mans meal on the tour if you screw up on an alarm)

Being a fireman isn't a dangerous job! All they do is sit around the firehouse!- (taxpaying citizen who was angry that her fire taxes went up)

With the cost of fuel these days, I don't think it's right that the firemen use the engines for Santa runs at Christmas time!- Another angry taxpaying citizen

Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work.—Robert Orben
There was a big sign in my high school weight room that said "The Harder I Work The Luckier I Get". I hung it in my home office to help me get through some intense promotional processes.

I also like this one form Chief John Mittendorf (RET)

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion........."

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service