Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I'm looking for pros and cons about the Paul Conway American Heritage Leather Helmet. I'm going to have this helmet for at least 15 years. I like the price, but I'm looking for feedback. Thank you.

Views: 10342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i never had a leather helemet before, my wife bought me a new yorker n5a for christmas. i love this helemet, it really is a great helmet. my son wears the morning pride ben2, which is a nother good helmet. a couple of the guys in my company have the paul conway helmet. doesnt even compare to the leather new yorker that i have,
doesnt look or fit as well as the new yorker. you can get the the new yorker for about 450 from the fire store. i have been a fireman for 34 years and the new yorker is definately the best helmet i have ever worn, i wear it with pride.

stay safe
-I have tried the conway and I can tell you that it fits poorly, sits high on the head and just feels badly especially when compared to Cairns. If you want a great fitting and great performing leather helmet, spend the extra cash and get a Cairns. I've worn a Cairns for years and it has been a faithful friend.

I just got my first New Yorker, and put a Bronx Bend in it, some of the paint came off.

What is a good paint i can use to make it look new and shine?

-If you're gonna spend the money anyway why not just buy the real thing and buy a Cairns?
Dave is the one source for repair and painting leather lids. He has a procedure for redoing it once tyour lid needs a new paint job. I would use sign painters like most of us do and follow his procedures.

If you need to paint more then a small area, you might want to add a small amount of boiled linseed oil and maybe add some flex paint.
We have been having a problem with our Paul Conways AH's here. The insides are coming out because the glue isn't holding. I have been told many things and I think int's a combination of the design and human lack of care. For one, some of the brothers have been carrying their helmets by the strap, in a traditional leather this is not a problem but on the AH it is because the strap is only secured by a thin piece of plastic and two screws on each side since it is a break away type shell. So I think that having all the weight supported by the strap can take a toll on the rim tabs and the glue or velcro inside after time. I carry mine by the ring and have not had any issues thus far. Still love my N5A but it's in the refurb state right now and one guy who is a painter and was giving me suggestions on  painting techniques was looking at it and telling me how it looked like an antique and was made by a saddle or leather maker. So Itold him that all of the leather helmets from this company are hand made with pride in America!
whats the paint calledlike how do i go anout asking for it!!

Dave LeBlanc said:
Any good quality oil based paint.  I know the Sherwin Williams is the approved paint, but I have had success with other paints. 

Michael Brice Turner said:

I just got my first New Yorker, and put a Bronx Bend in it, some of the paint came off.

now is that a a spray paint that i get at SW??

whats the paint calledlike how do i go anout asking for it!!

Dave LeBlanc said:
Any good quality oil based paint.  I know the Sherwin Williams is the approved paint, but I have had success with other paints. 

I have a Cairns Sam Houston which is NFPA approved and has all of the impact protection.  I took some getting used to because of the weight but it did come with lots of foam pads to stick inside of it to make it a custom fit.  My only regret is that as an officer I had to get a white one instead of Natural, if you can the natural leather is best looking helmet of any brand.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service