Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

When I first saw this picture one particular characteristic caught my attention.

In my area, and I am sure it is the same in many other jurisdictions, people are trying to do more with what they have.

We are finding more families living together and they must make some accomodations for those added individuals. What I am referring to is the garage being converted into living space.

I understand that this is not unusual and the practice can make a really nice family room or large master bedroom. The difference we have been seeing is that they still look like garages from the outside. When’s the last time you searched the garage as part of your primary search?

Just be aware and consider this on your next fire. This also is a reason you need to stay familiar with your area. And, the next time your on a “routine” residential fire, you might just want to check the garage.

Stay safe and be careful.

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

totally agree with you , there are so many that are doing this today it's unbelieveable, multiple family members to keep track of , conversions , you need to catch this in your intail sizeup, I agree garages do get overlooked esp. at night.
In some areas, my city included, the way to the basement is through the garage. I agree Jason, this all comes back to knowing our first due. It also comes in handy knowing other departments areas as well. Better Basics and Common Sense, must prevail for a successful outcome. A Brother from Chicago uses the saying "Don't train until you get it right, Train until you can't get it wrong!" Thanks Paul, I hope I quoted you correctly Bro! Very true words with a boatload of meaning!

Train To Survive! EGH!
Jeff
-If anyone is overlooking the garage during the primary search than there is certainly some sloppy firefighting taking place. When a search is performed every part of the structure is searched unless the structure is falling down or there is just to much fire in a given area.
-If interior conditions allow a search there is no excuse for missing an area of the structure, thats just sloppy.
-Jeff, I like the quote. Heard another, "train on a technique until you forget the technique". Think about it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service