Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

This patent pending product is a roof ladder attachment tool that replaces the axe and halligan tool as a foot-hold, while performing pitched roof vertical ventilation evolutions. check it out!!

See attached information

Views: 557

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andrew-

This looks like a great concept, however, it seems like it would be awkward to carry with everything else a truckie needs to carry. Unfortunately, manpower is an issue for us as I know it is nearly every where, and it appears to present another challenge for carrying purposes. I would not use this for operations for that reason except for training applications. Having said that, If it were incorporated into the beam of the roof ladder as a permanent fixture, adjustable, and deployable by only one firefighter, I would definately consider it. You are on to something and I will watch for your progress. Where could a product like this be found for a 30 day demonstration?

Thanks

Kevin
Kevin,

Thanks for your response, This tool is outfitted with holes for your gloved hands. The vertical ventilation evolution is usually done with no less than two firefighters. This tool is intended to be handed up not carried. for example. Once roof ladder is set, another firefighter hands the tool to him, he places it where he wants, second firefighter comes up with chain saw, hands it to first firefighter up, then acts as backup. h*** is cut, and ceiling punched, and you come down. The step can remain up and on roof ladder or moved down a little if you feel fire may damage it. Then retreived during overhaul. I dont know what tools you carry to a roof, but we only need the step, a cutting tool, and a pike pole. our axes are on our hip and can be used to sound roof if need be. This step doesnt slow you down, if anything its quicker and safer to place than an axe, or halligan for a foothold,plus the firefighter doing the cutting has set it to where he's comfortable. Of course it can be outfitted with a sling, but slings can get in the way, or become a trip hazard. A fielt test would be good to show you it's merit. Please contact me if you have further questions 989 714-5079 or d142206@yahoo.com You can only get this product from my company VVS Unlimited LLC.
i know a L.T. that has a patent out on his own little contraption that he made in his shop, it's folds up on the ladder and is preloaded to the roof ladder, it has the same basic function and design almost, I think the tool is a great idea for training evolutions, but out on the real fire ground only time and evaluations will tell.
Jacob, Thanks for responding. Why would this tool be great for training but not used on the fire ground. You should train as if it's the real thing as I'm sure you know. This tool has been used on the fire ground many times, tried and tested. I'ts a no brainer when it comes to being safer than current techniques being used. The problems with folding,or preloading is a question of stowing and time. My product is simple, nothing to break, it is was it is, and does what it's intended to do. My dept. is very aggressive we fight approx. 350 structure fires a year,we do vertical ventilation even with limited manpower, this tool does not slow you down and yes field test and training will show it's merit If you have ever been on a nightmare pitch in the ice or snow you would wish you had one. My product is professionally manufactured and I've put hrs of thought about what truckies would want, included with my own experience of 18 years fighting fires. This product sells itself. If youve been there you will see it's benefits instantly. Thanks for your feedback.

Jacob Smith said:
i know a L.T. that has a patent out on his own little contraption that he made in his shop, it's folds up on the ladder and is preloaded to the roof ladder, it has the same basic function and design almost, I think the tool is a great idea for training evolutions, but out on the real fire ground only time and evaluations will tell.
don't get me wrong i haven't personaly tried it out i have only seen it a few times, i think it's a great tool to be used in the right situations ( steep roof's, ice, and moss, like you said ), it's like any tool of the fire service there's a time and a place. I'm sure if my department fought 350 fire's a year and had countless times of tools, firefighter's and axe's falling out or off of roof's they would design a tool that would hold my footing better too.

Good luck on your product and patent.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service