Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am wanting to know where the desire has gone to do this job? When I was young growing up around the fire service everyone seemed to have so much pride and drive that nothing could get in the way of them doing what they loved. Now I see new members come in and not put hardly any focus or effort into learning about the fire service. As a Captain I teach members everything I can and make myself available for any questions they need answered, but it seems like my phone is ringing less and less as time goes on. I know this is a nation wide issue and there really hasn’t been a quick fix found yet. What I am wanting to know is if YOU still love this job the way you did when you started and why? Is it just the way the fire service is now? And what on earth can be done to instill pride, and desire for the job in these new members?

I’ll answer my first question and see what you think.

What I am wanting to know is if YOU still love this job the way you did when you started and why?
I love this job with all my heart and never have strayed from that feeling. The brotherhood (true brotherhood) is something that only Firefighters are able to understand and experience. I still get excited when the tones and I get that feeling in my bones that its time to go do your job. When I walk into my station I am overwhelmed with a feeling of pride that this house is something I’ve helped build into a well oiled machine and watched grow sense I was a little boy. I want to pass this job on to my son so he can understand the true meaning of loving your job. I love this job and I will till the day I die.

Views: 94

Replies to This Discussion

I absolutely love the job and that will never change!! I have a hard time understanding the attitude of... it's not the love for the job, just the love of $ and the "prestige" or persona that comes with the job so many before us have built.

Keeping The Faith
Todd
Thank you for your comments brother. Although I would always love to see more members step forward and speak about the love for the job it is encouraging to have one from time to time that will. Keep speaking out for the brotherhood and love for the job!

Dan Rice

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service