Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Most are taught in FFI to tie off a ladder halyard with a clove hitch prior to allowing personnel to climb the ladder. Do you, now as a line firefighter, actually do this, especially for time critical situations?

Please be honest. I'll admit when I was on the Ladder Co. I didn't in most cases.

Views: 2880

Replies to This Discussion

NOPE!!!!
I was also taught stand under the ladder to heal it, 75 degree climbing angle, 4 man raise ( when most our rigs have 3 FF's ) and so on.
Doesn't usually happen. Occasionally some white helmet walking around looking for something to do may trip over it and tie it off.....hehehe
Someone might be trying to tie it, but I'll be running up it already. You've voiced another one of those things that we learn about doing the job, but often don't explain to the young ones until we are faced with the situation and they're standing there screwing around with a clove hitch. Also I think many fire departments still fail to throw ladders enough to think outside the FF 1 box. Ever thrown an extension ladder with "fly-in", ....OOOOH, now you're gonna die! It doesn't have that part in the book!
I like to tie a pretty bow, if I had the time. 3 person companies and members who couldn't tie a clove hitch if their life depended on it. Seldom gets done, unless an automatic aid company ties it while my crew is on the roof opening up.
Lt. Ciampo from FDNY posted an option in training minutes (season 3) on tying off the lanyard to the bottom rung and leaving it that way for storage and use. Basically you wouldn't have to untie someone else's idea of a clove hitch, which can save a few seconds (or minutes)

Todd
Todd:

Tying off on the bottom rung and weaving the halyard tail back in was the way I learned. Made sense, you didn't have to spend a lot of time messing around with it. If you had time to tie it, you could use the Bangor Knot, fast simple. BUT IT ISN'T IN IFTSA, .....so folks where I'm at now frowned on that one.

Todd Trudeau said:
Lt. Ciampo from FDNY posted an option in training minutes (season 3) on tying off the lanyard to the bottom rung and leaving it that way for storage and use. Basically you wouldn't have to untie someone else's idea of a clove hitch, which can save a few seconds (or minutes)

Todd

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service