Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Writing a paper for a product liability class on fire safety in manafactured homes. Looking for fire experiences in such structures and the most common problem that we see in them. My focus right now is primarily the truss roof construction but I want to know if there are more/bigger problems we face while fighting these fires.

Thanks!

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm referring to neither modular or mobile. The true definition of a manfactured home is a home that is built off site but delivered fully assembled. Besides that, the other big difference is that manafactured homes are regulated by the federal government, while modular homes are local and state regulated. I understand the construction characterstic of such homes, really just looking for opinions and experiences pertaining to fire behavior in such structures.
One frustrating point of manufacturered homes, at least in our state, is the fact that they do not have to meet local code requirements as they meet a federal standard. This of course currently means no sprinklers in compliance with the last two editions of NFPA 101.
thanks adam
I was shocked recently looking at a modular home after a fire. Behind the sheet rock their was no insulation small studs that had tyvex attached to it and then the vinyl siding. I couldn't believe their wasn't any plywood or anything between the studs and siding especially in the northeast with nice cold winters. I think I defined the home as modular corectly it was one of the houses thats built in two sections brought in on trailors and assembled on site or is that a double wide? Regardless their garbage and a death trap.
Good luck on your paper.
Shawn Tibbitts said:
I was shocked recently looking at a modular home after a fire. Behind the sheet rock their was no insulation small studs that had tyvex attached to it and then the vinyl siding. I couldn't believe their wasn't any plywood or anything between the studs and siding especially in the northeast with nice cold winters. I think I defined the home as modular corectly it was one of the houses thats built in two sections brought in on trailors and assembled on site or is that a double wide? Regardless their garbage and a death trap.
Good luck on your paper.
I've also seen nearly the opposite where these modulars come through with plywood behind interior wall sheetrock for trailering without cracking. This could be an issue if you expect to pull a through the wall maneuver.
On the lack of exterior sheathing, this seems to be a common new energy efficiency thing. Many building text speak of leaving out wood sheathing which is a poor insulator in favor of using foam board and fiber glass, the walls get lateral strength from on piece of 4x8 plywood at the corner or a let-in strapping brace running from the sill plate to the top plate at a 45degree angle. Most of these ideas are made to be more efficient and cheaper, but almost all create more combustible void spaces with more fuel for when the oxygen gets to them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service