Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Line selection is light-weight wood frame multiple dwellings

I would like some input on your departments line selection on light weight wood frame multiple dwelling. The buildings in question usually range from 4 to 6 stories in hight and are equipped with a standpipe system. So the question is do you stretch the 1 3/4 for speed or the 2 1/2 for the standpipe operation. Do you even use the standpipe or do strech up the outside of the building. The volume of fire would be room and content.

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ray McCormack said:
I'm going to a lot more high rise fires than I thought!
I here you and this is my point. I think were using tactics for high rises in a building that does not behave the same as a highrise, just because it happens to share 1 simular building feature, the standpipe. This is a new breed of building that is popping up everywhere and if we are not proactive in our tactics it will be a matter of time before it bites us. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Let me start by saying I have only one of these buildings in my district. What you are describing, I would qualify as a low rise building (being below 75 feet). As far as line selection goes, I personally think that any high-rise is a 2 1/2 immediately and even though the structure you are describing would be a low rise, I would still use the 2 1/2 and use the standpipe. I would also recommend 2 more additional things.

1. Buy High Rise ops by Chief McGrail. Great book and goes into a level of detail that is incredible, but keeps it at a basic truckie (4 grade) reading level.
2. Take Chief McGrail's class. His presentation and his class are incredible. It's amazing what you come out of the class knowing. Although it's a high rise class, it also has some great info on hose size selection.

As far as the maneuverability goes, what is your pressure a the the standpipe connection and at the tip? GPM's? Do you guys use an inline gauge at the standpipe? Are you using Smooth Bore nozzles? What are the lengths of hose you are using in your high rise packs? What is your staffing like? How many of each type of apparatus are responding to you, and how fast can they be there to support you (in other words, if you stretch a 1 3/4 line, how soon before your 2 1/2 backup is deployed and operational)? And lastly, because none of us do this often enough, how often are your guys training on deploying a 2 1/2 in a occupancy with the types of hallways you are describing?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service