Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Gentlemen....brothers..I am at my wits end. I have spent most of the last year or more think of way to re-instill the pride and ownership that I continue to feel towards my department. I am pretty confident that some on you are having the same sleepless nights trying to think of ways to recusitate your own departments.

What can we as Company Officers, Chiefs, or members do? Unfortunately I don't have that answer...yet. I plan to find it, but don't have it yet. I will, however, ask this question...are we as veteran firefighters doing our job to pass the torch? It's my opinion that WE ARE NOT. We need to pass along that passion and pride that I know you all have felt for your own departments and now watch as member after member comes and goes without a fraction of the pride and ownership that we have possessed.

I know I have ranted here, but I need your suggestions.. For those of you that HAVE figured it out, please give me some suggestions on how to jump start a stagnant department. I think it needs to start at the bottom...thats as far as I've gotten.

Faithfully In Service,

Lt. Joshua Sanders

Views: 243

Replies to This Discussion

Lt. Sanders,

I think most firefighters and officers out there would agree that this is an issue at least to some degree in all departments. Those who disagree are probably in denial. Fortunately, this seems to be a common grievance, which means that a lot of us have this same perception, which in turn means that a lot of us still feel that pride. So maybe it's not as bad as we think it is.
We all say that things aren't the same as they were 10, 20 or more years ago. And they never will be. That's part bad, but also a lot of good. We don't see as many fires as we did in the past. In terms of our mission, this is very good. But in terms of our readiness, this may slow us down a little. This also gives us less opportunity to do what it is that we (for some deranged reason) enjoy doing, which can in turn create the perception that we are not having as much "fun" as we used to. On the flip side, we are probably now better trained and equipped than we ever were and we have more resources (such as the FIre Engineering Community) available to us.
As far as improving the situation, I think it is beyond anyone to take the entire task upon themselves. Especially at the company officer level, we should pick a handful of the newer firefighters and work with them individually. Stress to the individual the importance of what we do and of being always ready for "the big one." Guide them towards as much training and education as we can, wheather it be at an academy, online, or from a book or video.
By choosing only one or a handful I'm not suggesting we leave others behind, but let another vet take them under their wing. Instilling pride has to be done on an individual basis. Once they figure out what that pride is, they'll seek out others of their generation, form their own clicks, and a few years from now wonder "what's wrong with these new guys?"

Stay Safe,

Jay Wieners
I agree with what Jay has to say. The one thing that we have done to increase the Pride in our department has been to put a mentoring program in place. When we get a new firefighter we now do an informal interview with the persepective candidate that includes the chief, assistant chief, and training officer, this has helped out tremendously. It now gives us a chance to get to know the person a little more and it is nothing that is long or drawn out. The questions asked are What is your reasoning for applying, Where would you like to be in 5 years, What are your expectations of us, What qualities do you bring to us, and Are you interested in EMS. We then discuss our expectations of them and answer any other questions that they might have. After that we bring them on the department and assign a mentor to work with them, and the mentor is not always an officer, we have utilized some of our firefighters as mentors which has increased their Pride also.

Hope this helped!!

Stay Safe!!

Joe
Lt. Sanders
I have a different problem than yours. Mine is this, my Officers are the ones who are lacking in the pride and ownership of our Department. See Most of our Officers have lost there love for this profession, they don't care do take part in trainings or fell that they have done there time doing it. How can I help them love the job again like I do. I have only been on the job 3 years but I love it more now than ever, How do I get them to feel the same way.

JJ Blaker
Lt. Sanders,
As has already been stated this is a problem that is most definitely effecting each and every department in one way or another. The biggest thing that must be stressed is make sure you keep your love for this job even while struggling through the hardships of training others that aren't passionate about it. The members that are lacking this zeal, this connection, and love for the job will notice the difference between themselves and the others that are in that house to do a job they care about greatly. These lacking members are going to realize that even though they might have a fire card and ride the engine there are still things they don't have that the rest of us do. And those things are passion and desire for what we do. Keep up the hard work and be safe.
FF Blaker,
Send me a message sometime and maybe we can talk about some of the issues you’re having with you company officers.
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your input on this issue. I apologize for the tardiness of this message, but certainly encouraged after reading your thoughts. Jay, You make a great point and I think that you are very right. And Joe, I definitely like what you guys are doing with the mentoring program! Fantastic ideas. JJ, I have felt your pain before too. I think that once you start down the path of officers not leading the way its a great time for new leaders to emerge. Dan, thank you for your comments as well, you are right.

I think that from time to time we all need to remind ourselves why we love this job and ignite new zeal to pass it on to the younger generations. I pray for safety for all of you and your departments. Thank you again for your love of the job.

Fraternally in Service,

Joshua M. Sanders
FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-DTRT-KTF

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service