Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone know some really good scenarios to do in front of our council members and general public.

I'm looking for some good scenarios that will really show off why the fire service exists and hopefully show some of the things that the general public would not really know the fire service does.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Aaron

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unless you can set them up at a training area where you can run Ladder and OFA tactics or cut cars, there isn’t much you can DO from the curb (you can SHOW them a lot).
If you have the time and equipment, you could set up a series of displays where visitors can put on spare PPE and BA and walk thru evolutions (ground level stuff only) that involve advancing a charged hoseline, following a charged line in the tangle course, carrying a K-12 or Hurst tool and dragging a Randy while blacked out.

That will give someone a small idea of the basic physical and mental stuff that we have to be able to do.
Whatever you decide to do I would suggest that you include them as much as possible in the demonstration. The more hands on it is for them the more they will be engaged in the event.
Larry Lasich said:
Unless you can set them up at a training area where you can run Ladder and OFA tactics or cut cars, there isn’t much you can DO from the curb (you can SHOW them a lot).
If you have the time and equipment, you could set up a series of displays where visitors can put on spare PPE and BA and walk thru evolutions (ground level stuff only) that involve advancing a charged hoseline, following a charged line in the tangle course, carrying a K-12 or Hurst tool and dragging a Randy while blacked out.

That will give someone a small idea of the basic physical and mental stuff that we have to be able to do.

Larry,

I really like the idea of having the public actually feel what it is like to be a firefighter! Have you ever tried this? and if so what was the feedback on it? My only concern is that, I have a feeling if I suggest something that the public will actually be involved with, our chief will bring up the legal aspect of somebody from the general public getting hurt or have a medical emergency and we will be held responsible.

Thanks for the ideas!
We have had people try on PPE and BA and go through the obstacle course and yes, you will have to go case by each on who can be doing what. Anyone should be able to do the tangled hoseline course. Little harder to get through the entrapment/obstacle course. Only people that are in really good shape should be pulling a hose, dragging the Randy or handling heavy tools.

I have noticed that the people that aren't up for this stuff, won't volunteer. Still, You will want to stay close for all of it. Being blacked out can freak anyone out and the idea is to show that we have the skills. You don't want anyone to flip out in front of their family.
Aaron,
Look up fire opps 101 from the IAFF we conduct it every year.

Aaron Huckstep said:
Larry Lasich said:

Larry,

I really like the idea of having the public actually feel what it is like to be a firefighter! Have you ever tried this? and if so what was the feedback on it? My only concern is that, I have a feeling if I suggest something that the public will actually be involved with, our chief will bring up the legal aspect of somebody from the general public getting hurt or have a medical emergency and we will be held responsible.

Thanks for the ideas!
I recently had someone suggest the movie "smoke showing" to me. Haven t had a chance to try it yet, but I think it would be a good corner stone. You can find it here on FE for free to download.
Take care
Click here for the link to "Smoke Showing"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service