Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am working on a project that addresses, long hose lays, limited water and apparatus access mapping ideas. Essentially, relay mapping that would address drop off points and hydrant access. Has anyone done this? I am looking for formatting ideas to incorporate into an already bulky map book. Any map program suggestions?

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We did this during our recent ISO evaluation. Have you had an ISO evaluation done in the recent past?If so, check those records on where to start. You could also contact a fire department consulting firm as another option.

Neighboring departments are also a good resource, check with them as well!

Good Luck,
Rob
Addressing the issue is not the problem I face, it is formatting the mapping into a usable system. With our CAD update we will soon be transitioning from a 15 box system to a 71 box system. So we are getting ready to add more bulk to the map book. additionally, it goes beyond just adding maps, we are wanting to add estimated fire flows for each individual property, distances from the nearest hydrant to the property, drop points, and apparatus placement in the relay. I have a general concept, I am taking measurements, etc.. I am just looking for other ideas I can use to further develop the lay out of the maps. Furthermore, our maps are done in house on an antiquated OS, so I am interested in new mapping programs that some of you may use that work well for the fire service...sure I can use google satelite images of each of the properties, but the over lay information I would have to add would be just to busy. Reference the ISO, we are a 3/4 and have recently been accredidated through the CFSA.
Have you checked with the San Francisco FD? They have contingency plans for long hose lays in the event of an earthquake. In the Loma Prieta EQ in 1989, they used fire boats to pump to fire engines because the water mains were broken.
Are you planing to use this for all structure fires or just the high fire flow (big building, big fuel load, big housing) calls?

If you carry a pre-plan book, or you have the luxury of a dispatch/mobile data terminal that can hold the info for you, I'd set it up so that after the first alarm gets there and calls a worker, then the IC or water supply officer takes the units that will support the water supply and assigns them to their spot in the line, after they check in and request their assignment.

The great thing about fix length relay pumping is that everyone in the relay knows just how much hose everyone is pumping and just what pressure to work at. You need to get the steps for starting and shutting down, and the attack pumpers need to practice so they have waste lines going and don't try to chase the engine pressure around, but if you have the mutual aid help and good hydrants to run from, you can get spectacular results. Much better that Tender shuttles, or at least safer.

If you have to go to max length relay pumping, the Water Supply Officer, HAS GOT to have a right seat guy to help with the math. You don’t want to have guys trying to figure that out while they are laying supply lines and getting pumps running. Think of it as an accountability operation for the water supply sector. Must do, must be done well.

Have fun with this. I worked on this at my department and you can have a blast if you have the manpower and equipment to make it happen. It's the cutting edge of Rural operations. A structure is a structure, but without the water....

Let me know how this goes.
Larry
Try a computer program called GIS. This program collects information from all Municiple Departments specific to you and stores it in one place. The program is very easy to use. In my town we received increased credit under pre-plans from ISO
Thanks guys, I appreciate any input I can get. Be Safe!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service