Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

What do you all us for your engineers field operations? We use the rule of eights and have some cheats that we memorize to go with those cheats.

Views: 4298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Colin, are you asking for friction loss calculations or gpm flowed?
We put together laminated cheat sheet with flows and friction lose. Also have preset pressure for different lines and conditions.
Brother Colin, we too use a laminated friction loss chart. It is set by nozzle type with constant psi settings, any appliances with constants (psi), it has the various hose diameter combinations for supply line and FL for common gpm rates per 100' ft of hose. it has the pre set flow rates for 200' lengths of attack line both 1 3/4 and 2 1/2, based off of manufactures recommedation for maximum flow for the nozzles we use (LP TFT). Additionally, it has elevation, stand pipe and sprinkler connection constants. If you give me your email I will get an e copy and send it to you. Be safe
Brother Cliff, i work on Thursday, i will email the Dept training officer to send me the ecopy and I will forward it to you. Be safe!!
Used multiple sources hose manufacture, nozzle supplier, dept testing, caculaion based on nfa formula. Great book to help understand is FPP Fire Service Hydraulics and Water Supply. Drop me A message and email you a copy of what I put together for our drivers.

John "Cliff" Berkshire said:
How did you figure the equations on your cheat sheet? Always been interested in making one but wanted to see what other depts had used.
I would check your flows while using any calculations to see what is really happening with your equipment. There is no substitute for reality. Then apply the findings to your line configuration and department practices. And then flow it again to be sure. Then make your cards. Give one to every driver and have them on each pump panel.
I would appreciate that, colin@groomcreek.org, Thanks and I will email one of ours to you when our office remodel is done.

Joel Holbrook said:
Brother Colin, we too use a laminated friction loss chart. It is set by nozzle type with constant psi settings, any appliances with constants (psi), it has the various hose diameter combinations for supply line and FL for common gpm rates per 100' ft of hose. it has the pre set flow rates for 200' lengths of attack line both 1 3/4 and 2 1/2, based off of manufactures recommedation for maximum flow for the nozzles we use (LP TFT). Additionally, it has elevation, stand pipe and sprinkler connection constants. If you give me your email I will get an e copy and send it to you. Be safe
Thanks for all of the input. Feel free to email me any of your dept. calculation cheats. colin@groomcreek.org
I'd second running your own tests and developing your own cards. We've found that different hose and discharges have a significant difference in FL. We use the C Formulas as a baseline, but nothing beats a calibrated flow meter and pitot gauge to determine actual friction loss and preset gauges.
Colin, I was reading your post and it is very interesting as I am in the process of developing a power point traing class on friction loss, fire flow and pump panel operation. Part of what I wanted to develop and provide for our equipment is just what you were talkin' about...ie Laminated cheat sheet for pump operators. I would greatly apreciate any info you could forward to me to help in my development of these sheets ... thanks Dave firehouse12002@yahoo.com
I would like to have a copy of your sheets if possbile as well. dcook82@verizon.net. Thanks.
Here is a power point presentation you may wish to view.
http://www.tft.com/newsite/literature/library/files/05fire%20ground...

If you contact the companies that manufacture the hose, nozzles and other water delivery applicances your department has in service they typcially are willing to supply you with the cards or slide charts that will have the information you are looking for.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service