Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

does anyone have any good training material for teaching the importance of tradition to new recruits?? looking for a presentation that can be used in numerours fire department settings.

Views: 721

Replies to This Discussion

Try the Jones and Bartlett basic book. They have a good chapter right at the beginning of the book as well as a powerpoint on the subject.
Develop your own (No disrespect intended) It will mean much more to the recruits if they know the History and Tradition that surrounds them! Give the development of a program to THEM over a weekend. They will think more about the Fire Service, and you have final input.
Not a bad idea Rick to create your own program revolving around the history and traditions of your particular department. I agree, the new people will like it and react to it much more.
However, there is a fire service world beyond our own individual departments and many of the traditions we all have and share come to us from other places and we should know and understand why. Studying these trends and traditions will also teach us who we are and where we come from, lighting the path of where we are going.
Using a text or program that is already create will insure that many of the bigger or larger or more widely shared traditions are covered and explained more fully.
Stay safe
What do you need brother and I will help you out with what I can. I would also email Chief Corbett and see if he has anything he would share that isn't copyrighted. He is the "Man" when it comes to expertise on our history. He is like the modern day version of "Ben Franklin" for the Fire Service.
Hi Brandon! I have an entire powerpoint presentation that is on the history of the fire service. I created it while in ed. meth. class. When the word got out what I had done, I have since been asked to present it to surrounding fire departments in our area. I am glad to share it with anyone who wants to pass the tradition of our fire service on! You can change anything that you wish to fit your own needs. Hope it helps, brother!
Attachments:
Thanks Marnie so much for sharing this! Did Doug help you out, I better look at it first if he did....LOL just kidding.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving to you and Doug.

Thanks so much Sister!!!
Brother Brad, No sir I didn't have anyhting to do with that one. She is always working on it to make it better. I showed her your reply to hers and she laughed. She helps me fine tune the stuff that i use to teach with. She is very proud to be able to offer this for people to share, and she is just as proud of what she does and for us to be able to do it together makes me just as proud to be apart of such a wonderful family as we have in the Fire Service.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also Brother!!!!! KTF
Hi Marnie.

I can't view your Presentation as it is in a more recent version of powerpoint. Is there any way in which you could reformat it in a lower verson and then post it?

Thanks.

Rich Kukac

Marnie Price said:
Hi Brandon! I have an entire powerpoint presentation that is on the history of the fire service. I created it while in ed. meth. class. When the word got out what I had done, I have since been asked to present it to surrounding fire departments in our area. I am glad to share it with anyone who wants to pass the tradition of our fire service on! You can change anything that you wish to fit your own needs. Hope it helps, brother!
Here is a version of the History of The Fire Service powerpoint in a version compatible with 97-2003. Hope this works for you! Marnie Price KTF
Attachments:
Thanks Marnie.

That did the trick - I was able to view your presentation. Nice work!

Rich Kukac
Two books I like to use to pull info from are "Firefighting Lore" and "More Firefighting Lore" by W. Fred Conway. Not only are they full of stories of our history, they have some really odd stories that I like to use for pub. ed. like the "The fire alarm box that trapped you inside."
Thank you! I hope it helps and let me know if I can help in any way!!
Be Safe! KTF
Marnie
Rich Kukac said:
Thanks Marnie.

That did the trick - I was able to view your presentation. Nice work!

Rich Kukac

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service