Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

MFA Tools and Rules - Reversing Polarity

So, think you know how to fight fire?  Sure you do!  And, as a reader of this blog, you’ve shown your interest in trying to keep up with all of the advances in knowledge that continue to come out of fire dynamics research.  But, have you translated this information into practical use?  That is, have you or your department made changes to your operational procedures that take advantage of the increased speed, effectiveness, and safety of the various MFA methods?  Even if you are just considering implementing these new techniques, you can appreciate the title of this post, because the required changes are, in a word, radical.  

Furthermore, in my opinion, the extent of the tactical revisions that have been inspired by our new understanding of the science of firefighting are as yet unappreciated by many in the fire service.  The necessary modifications for improving our performance are therefore not only incredibly difficult to bring about, but we have trouble even recognizing the many aspects of our habits and traditions that must be corrected.  In an attempt to increase our collective awareness of the wide range of activities that are, or should be, affected by our new insight, I have been invited to present a class on that topic at FDIC 2017.

“Reversing Polarity: Understanding and Implementing the Significant Operational Changes Inspired by Ongoing Research” is scheduled for Friday April 28, 0830-1015, in LMR 1-2 in the Lucas Oil Stadium.  My intent is to illustrate the scope of operational methods and approaches affected by the new information.  It’s certainly a lot more than just exterior streams and closing doors.  If you are interested in participating in a discussion with a commentator from the radical fringe of the modern fire attack community, get up early and trek down the street or tunnel to the stadium, and we’ll share our experiences, thoughts, and predictions on the topic.  I look forward to meeting many of my readers in person, as well as attending classes beside you throughout the week.

MJC

The author can be reached at markjcotter@comcast.net

Views: 315

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service