Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Recently I had the pleasure to see one of my favorite Metal bands in concert. I was amazed to hear how great they sounded. These guys have been together for 30 years and still sound like they did 30 years ago. One can imagine the life of a rock star and the toll it can take on one’s body, but through it all they were healthy and still rocking. This got me thinking about a couple of things. How did these guys sound so good after 30 years of playing music and being on the road? How were they able to run and jump around on stage all while being in their mid to late 50’s? Those who know me know I lived that life style for a few years, minus the success, millions of fans and the money and I am not in my mid 50’s, but other than that the same. I can tell you it is a difficult life.

How does this relate to the fire service you ask?

Discipline

Practice

Training

Being creative

Open minded to new ideas

Conflict resolution

Crew Recourse Management

Love what you do

All the above comes into play when you are in the fire service. The same holds true when being in a successful band, or part of any group that wishes to succeed. If you want to make it 30 years in the fire service and come out intact you need to be disciplined when it comes to assignments on the fire ground. You must practice you skills in order to perform on the fire ground. You must continue to train and train your people skills are perishable. Be creative when it comes to an issue. You have to have a plan “B” when things don’t go like they are supposed to. The fire service is constantly evolving so you have to have an open mind when it comes to new ideas and techniques. You may find this shocking, but sometimes we all don’t agree so as officers we need to be able to defuse potential volatile situations there are many bands that dissolve because members could not get along we can’t afford that in the fire service we have to trust each other.  Crew Recourse Management this means all have an equal say and need to be heard when situations arise. There are times that the officer may not see a dangerous situation it is incumbent that others speak up to avoid disaster.  Finally Love what you do, this means embrace the life of the fire service from the calls you run to the brotherhood. Take care of your people and take care of your body you ow it to them and your family to be healthy so you can run and jump on the fire ground, throw ladders, pull hose lines and make rescues.  

Don’t get me wrong I am not saying that a rock band and the fire service are the same, but if you want to make it 30 years in the business you need to understand what makes a good team and capitalize on it. Good luck and Rock On!

Views: 338

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service