Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Spring and Summer bring an onslaught of action packed movies sporting muscle-bound studs and mercenary vixens who leap and punch their way into the American culture with gravity defying ease. I admit, I'm guilty of enjoying the latest exploits and theatrics of Captain America, too. But what happens when society places more emphasis on pop culture icons and celebrities (and their sometimes ridiculous and ill-informed political/social stands) than on America's real heroes? Heroes that defend, protect, rescue, heal, and teach?  

I draw this cartoon in the wake of finally taking time out of the studio to watch Captain America: Civil War - a very entertaining movie (if not for the rude people in the theater - but that's a different commentary) with non-stop action and a plausible story-line. While driving to the theater I heard no less than 15 Memorial Day sale commercials on the radio, saw countless roadside signs declaring 20% off various items, and one audacious billboard that boasted the reason for the holiday was to save big on your next new or used car. The straw (or t-shirt) that broke my metaphorical back was a shirt a kid wore to the movie declaring  Captain America the true American hero! Really?! A fictional soldier fighting fictional battles, who can never die, regardless of how many bullets are fired at him, is what our nation considers a real American hero? Is this what we've come to?

So, I post this commentary on this most hallowed weekend of remembrance to encourage you, and others who may see this, to put the sacrifices of our nation’s true heroes in perspective. To remember that freedom isn't free, and to take a moment to cherish our freedom and safety, and those who made it possible.

True American heroes wear many different uniforms, but none wear a cape or carry a Vibranium shield! Remember what so many gave, so that we can celebrate and share what we have.

STAY FIRED UP!

____

Click here to see more of my work or to order prints:
http://artstudioseven.com/page-fire-ems-prints2.htm

____

Views: 4200

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service