Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Don’t be an inbred? Are you kidding me? Well now that I have your attention, allow me explain. When I refer to the word inbred, I’m not referring to an individual or people at all…I’m actually referring to a mindset.

inbreeding

noun

Confinement to a narrow range or a local or limited field of choice.  

Many times in the fire service, we get “locked” into the methods or teachings of our local areas or states. No matter how good your department is in a subject, there are departments that are better at a various others. We call the mindset of “what could they teach us” or “we are the best around” or “this is the only way we do it”….as being inbred. I know that travel costs money. The same money that’s been cut from many department budgets when financial trouble arises. Trust me I have spent an unknown amount or my own hard earned money on traveling to attend classes.  I’m also very lucky to have a department that supported travel to attend training all over the country. However, don’t think for a second that a department will send members that won’t bring information back that the whole department can learn from.

When traveling to other areas you will have to put your pride to the side and approach it with an open mind….PERIOD!  Only with national travel did I truly understand the importance of experiencing the different methods, mindsets, techniques, and traditions that vary from city to city. For example, being that my department doesn’t run a “truck company” concept, a group of us went up to Fire Department Training Network (FDTN) to train with some incredible instructors well versed in truck work. Also never forget the Fraternal Order Of Leatherhead Society (FOOLS) for some great training at an incredible price.

Even though my area is a heavy hitter with extrications, we wanted to see other options and traveled all over the nation to evaluate options. Boy am I glad we did. Over the years, we picked up some incredible information and techniques along the way that have without a doubt increased our extrication times and in turn saved lives. You’ll never know how many people are saved by the knowledge you gained while keeping an open mind and searching for another way.  Remember do what you can to get out there and experience other method and more importantly don’t be an inbred!

ISAAC FRAZIER is a Special Operations Lieutenant with St. Johns County Florida’s Heavy Rescue “Squad 4”. First due to the deadliest stretch of roadway in the nation, Frazier teaches from personal street experience providing tried and true tactics. Frazier is the owner of Tactical Advantage Training and creator of the course Tactical Extrication. Frazier travels nationally sharing his passion teaching fire and extrication courses. Frazier is a FDIC instructor, Fire Engineering Contributor, Fire Officer II, FL Paramedic, Special Operations Officer, Florida State Instructor, FLUSAR Tech, Diver, and FL Hazmat Tech.  www.TrainTacticalAdvantage.com

Views: 2206

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service