Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

It's time to play inside, at least in my neck of the woods in Northern Ohio. The cold/snowy weather is upon us and unless you want to sit in the fire house all day it can be a challenge to keep your members fresh and well prepared. So why not a "game night or day".

The following game described below I call "extric-jenga" a play on the real game Jenga, its simple and challenging at the same time plus it gets the competitive juices of the players going. All you need is a large piece of plywood; my department uses thick fin form wood used in trench collapse shoring, a large glass of water and cribbing.

Objective:

Place the large glass of water on the plywood, filled to nearly the top, have two members work as a team to lift board without spilling the water. I usually have the members lift the board evenly to the height of a 4x4 piece of cribbing standing on end, you can have them lift it to as high as you want the higher you go obviously the more of a challenge, if you spill the water its game over! In my game, I only allow members to utilize cribbing, hand tools and air bags; again it’s all up to you.

I found out about this game after reading about a great FDNY Officer Captain Terry Hatton who was lost on 9/11 his Rescue Company would have his company play this game to prepare for difficult lifts and extrications. It is a great game that I am sure your members will enjoy and get some great training out of.... Give it a try on your "game night

Views: 3037

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service