Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

My new Scenario based training site at FireEngineering.com

I am adding another web article to Fire Engineering’s web site in Fire Dynamics. It is called “What Would You Do? Here is the link:   http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2014/09/what-would-you-do-l...

Twice a month, I will post a scenario on the web site.  It will contain a looped video of a fire situation, a brief description of the building and any other relevant facts and a worksheet to use (if you wish). 

The purpose of the scenario is to get you to think! To teach yourself to look at a “problem” and then develop a plan. I want you to take a holistic view of the scene.  I want you to consider all strategic, tactical and task levels of the incident.  In your department, you may be a firefighter, lieutenant, captain, chief, medic or a training/staff officer.  It doesn’t matter. If you could be put into the position of arriving first at the scene of a fire and be required to assume Command, then these are meant for you. 

I hope that officers of all ranks, take them to the kitchen table and discuss them with your crew.  Chief Officers, take them you your officers and crews. Find out what they know and feed them want you want them to know.  I did something similar to this when I was Operations Deputy.  I went over scenarios with my battalions and we discussed how I and the chief of the department wanted these fires to be fought. It was give and take and we used a lot of their suggestions.  Afterwards, I gave them a video of the same scenario (not a lot of laptops and internet availability back then) to take out into their district and work these scenarios out the same way with their crews.  The intent was to get all of us singing off the same song sheet.

When you use the worksheet, answer the questions considering your department’s resources, SOP’s and evolutions. 

There will be a spot to comment and perhaps some discussion will evolve.  Have fun with them and develop a better understanding of Running and Fire. Again, here is the link:  http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2014/09/what-would-you-do-l...

Views: 896

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service