Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Lately I have heard a lot of negativity toward the use of the word aggressive in our fire service vocabulary. Whether in casual conversations, seminars or online learning outlets I have heard a sense of dismay for the use of this word. I heard one fire service member say that it should be removed from our dictionary because it is going to get someone hurt; that is a macho term that has no place in our profession. Some tend to associate this word with being reckless or careless on the fireground. This is not necessarily true. Let’s take a look at the definition of aggressive. According to Merriam Webster aggressive is defined as: marked by combative readiness; marked by driving, forceful energy or initiative; ready and willing to fight. That sounds like a pretty darn good description of the type of firefighters I want working by my side on the fireground. Firefighters who train to be as close to perfect as they can be, firefighters who take initiative and are willing to get in there and uphold our organizations mission statement of protecting life and property. There is a big difference between being aggressive and being reckless. A reckless firefighter makes poor decisions, does not train, and is undisciplined and careless on the fireground. Most importantly, a reckless firefighter is one who cares nothing about the consequences of his or her actions or inactions.

I think it is important we understand the difference between the two terms and the true meaning of the word aggressive. This word belongs everywhere in our fire service vocabulary. I would proudly explain to Joe Public that I am surrounded by a disciplined, well trained, aggressive firefighting force. You know what? I would imagine they might just have some comfort knowing that. I want my company to be aggressive; aggressive in training, aggressive when deliver medical care, aggressive on the fireground while making smart tactical decisions. Some would argue that by using the word aggressive we invoke unsafe acts and cause our members to take unneeded risks and get them hurt. This couldn’t be further from the truth. By not training, not holding each other accountable, and not being students of the fire service is how we get people hurt. This profession doesn’t need reckless firefighters it needs aggressive ones!

Views: 1461

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Comment by Jarrod Sergi on April 30, 2014 at 8:35am

Well said guys, thanks for reading!

Comment by Robert Owens on April 29, 2014 at 8:16pm

I think the biggest misconception of the word is that most think aggressive is in direct relation to location, I.E. your not aggressive unless you are inside directly next to the fire. In my opinion aggressive is ACTION not LOCATION.

Standing directly next to a fire with improper gear, tools, hose line etc. is not aggressive. Hitting a fire with 200 gpm for thirty seconds from the yard then moving in in my opinion is aggressive. Taking a properly equipped crew down the hallway and putting rooms out is aggressive. Standing outside flowing a small line on a big fire is not aggressive. You get the point. Do not focus on the location but the action!

Comment by Jeff Betz on April 29, 2014 at 2:31pm

Well stated Jarrod, I think some of the folks doing a lot of talking are misleading the masses.

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service