Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

As many are preparing to make their way to FDIC or are already there, it is important to understand what our roles are as fire service instructors and leaders. Yes, you are both, whether you are an officer or not if you are helping to make the fire service better, you are a leader and instructor at some level.

I was using my knife the other day and it needed to be sharpened. I have an old stone that has sharpened knives for many years.  When you learn how to use that stone and are patient and methodical, you can put a real nice edge on a knife.

It got me thinking about that old stone and the knives that it made sharp and useful.  It got me thinking about how that old stone has never gotten one bit of credit for the successes of the knives it honed.  But, you cannot ignore the importance of the stone and it's steadfastness. Having a good edge makes the job much easier.

stone

Of course, everyone wants to have a nice knife.  Not many have gone to a show or convention and looked for a good sharpening stone though.  After all, knives can be very ornate and can come with options that make it very attractive.  The stones are usually just that, a stone.

The stones are gray, a little rough and have little use when not being used for sharpening blades.  But, without those stones, the blades on many cutting tools would eventually be useless and discarded or put on the shelf.

For those of us that are attending FDIC or instructing, think of yourselves as the stone. You are obtaining information, learning, and growing as firefighters.  It is our obligation to go back and sharpen the knives and blades that are the firefighters we work with.

There are some very talented firefighters at all of our departments who left on their own, will become dull and eventually shelved.  As the stone, not only do we bring back techniques and skills, we bring back the spirit of FDIC and the excitement for the job.  We bring back the conversations, the stories and the new ideas that comes from seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Don't downplay your importance in the evolution of the fire service. Don't leave behind the atmosphere you experience at FDIC.  Be the stone that sharpens the knives and blades back home, those that are eager and enthusiastic.  Be the stone that takes the rust off of the tarnished, well used blades that are sometimes out shined by the newer model knives.

I look forward to seeing you all this coming week and safe travels to you all. Prepare to sharpen knives!

Views: 488

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service