Helmet-cam captures firefighters caught in magnesium flare-up. Watch video from vehicle fire on Wednesday in Croft, South Carolina.
Excerpts from an article by WCBD-TV about a fire Wednesday at 5:00 PM in Spartanburg County, South Carolina and an interview with Croft Fire Chief Lewis Hayes:
When firefighters arrived, a Ford Ranger had flames coming from the engine and cab area. The driver had already safely gotten out. As two firefighters were spraying the truck with water from a distance of about five feet, the truck exploded in a shower of white sparks and flames.
“We can show other firefighters across the country that a routine call like this can turn into something that can end your career if you aren’t wearing your protective gear,“ says Hayes.
He says many firefighters don’t wear their face mask and breathing apparatus when putting out vehicle fires. But his firefighters were wearing the gear, and Hayes says it saved them from serious injuries.
“They no doubt would have had severe facial burns,“ says Hayes.