Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

HazMat Placards to Success

Information

HazMat Placards to Success

HazMat Placards to Success will provide a step by step process for response to a Hazardous Materials incident.

Members: 108
Latest Activity: Nov 28

Discussion Forum

"Shake & Bake" 4 Replies

Started by Todd McKee. Last reply by Todd McKee Apr 1, 2014.

Chemical & Biological Agent Production (Indicators & Warnings) 1 Reply

Started by Todd McKee. Last reply by Todd McKee Dec 5, 2012.

Arisine 2 Replies

Started by Todd McKee. Last reply by Todd McKee Jun 28, 2012.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of HazMat Placards to Success to add comments!

Comment by Charles Dusha on July 1, 2011 at 3:06am
Todd,  Looking through your training photos, and noted your comments about the ambulance cot.  Although this is a good idea, and I have advocated and used it for over 20 years in Hazmat, (and about decon - take the matress off, and if you can't decon aluminum and rubber, whatever you have is really bad stuff and the RP can buy a new cot), but have switched over and now I advocate the Hazmat SKED (not an advertisement, just a recommendation, I had to buy my own demo SKED).  You don't have to lift the victim, they have a nice handle/lever on their back to roll them over, and because you are just dragging them, not lifting or hoistin them, the three quick and simple straps are adequate.  The device can be used for dragging equipment into the scene, it works better on grass and loose gravel than the wheels on the cot, and it can be deconned and reused until you wear holes in it by dragging it on gravel, concrete, or asphalt (which does happen, but it takes time).  One person lifting another in a hazmat suit is, in my opinion, a recipe for disaster, whereby rolling someone onto a sheet of plastic is quicker, and simpler, and if deployed with a tag line, personnel in the wram zone can have the victim halfway to decon before the backup team can even be suited and making entry.  (smae concept as you advocate with the cot, but in my opinion quicker and safer).  Thanks for some great pictures, haven't had time to look at all your page yet, but what I have viewed so far looks great. 
Comment by Todd McKee on June 30, 2011 at 8:53pm
Hey!  I posted some HazMat training pictures on the main page!
Comment by Todd McKee on May 6, 2011 at 8:07am
Take a look  at  the FEC  forum main page!   Help  the community  out with  what  you would  do  different on the decon.
Comment by Jetty Middelkoop on January 31, 2011 at 6:23am

And remember that in many cases in which gas is involved, a ventilator is a much better decon device than water! If you wear your normal fire fighting gear (which is OK for example in case of a rescue attempt of a H2S suicide victim), water is of no use, ventilation is (OF COURSE while keeping your SCBA on !)

Do not make the mistake that was made in Lake County, where 8 emergency workers ended in hospital:http://bit.ly/g8txYl 

Comment by Todd McKee on January 26, 2011 at 12:14am

Be sure to  have the proper  decontamination set up  BEFORE  entry!

Comment by Todd McKee on January 25, 2011 at 9:13pm
Anytime   NICK!!!!!!!!
Comment by Nick Morgan on January 23, 2011 at 6:59pm
Hey Todd, thanks for the add brother!
Comment by Adam Miceli on August 30, 2009 at 9:11pm
Just noticed this invitation, thanks.
Comment by Todd McKee on July 28, 2009 at 7:35pm
Alex, It is okay! I am just glad everyone is here!
Comment by Alex Simon on July 28, 2009 at 7:12am
sorry i didnt accept the invite sooner, i have been very busy, thanks Todd :)

Members (108)

Policy Page

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peterp@pennwell.com.

FE Talk Radio

Monday at 7:30 p.m. EDT

The Larry Conley Show

with

Larry Conley

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING SHOWS

Ricky Riley, Dan Shaw, Doug Mitchell & Nick Martin

© 2017   Created by fireeng.   Powered by