Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am looking for some thoughts on saws, saw blades, and saw set-ups on truck companies.  We are a suburb of Dallas that runs one truck company.  Our operations are based on a 5 person truck crew with an interior team of 2, an exterior team of 2, and an OV.  It is the responsibility of the exterior team and OV to address forcible entry and ventilation on all interior operations.  I am currently writing the Saws Section of our Truck Manual and I would like some feedback on experiences with saws and blades for forcible entry and ventilation on residential and commercial dwellings.  We do conduct vertical ventilation operations when necessary.

Views: 561

Replies to This Discussion

I work on the "heavy rescue" in my city. We have cutters edge vent saw with a bullet chain for opening wood roof and a rotary saw with a black diamond blade for metal roofs and force entry. I have used the diamond blade on reinforced concrete and it works very well but a little water helps keep dust down

Thanks Tom....that seems to be a pretty popular set up.  What size and type of rotary saw do you guys use?

I run on a dedicated ladder for our area. We run a straight stick ladder, so we have a lot of room for toys. On the top of the truck, we carry a 20 inch stihl chainsaw for residential roofs and a 1250 Husqvarna with a warthog blade for flat wood roofs. In the compartments we carry a 16 inch stihl chainsaw for residential roofs, a 14 inch 12 tooth carbide blade stihl for commercial buildings, 2 16 inch 970 Husqvarna with  metal blades for forcible entry, and 1 16 inch metal blade with the blade mounted on the outside of the blade arm for forcible entry. We usually do not cut metal deck roofs here. We will go for skylights and other natural openings.

Thanks Tom....Great stuff!  Do you like your set up and the saw/blade combinations?  Moving the blade arm works great!  I  havn't  really heard of any cons, yet I am not sure why more departments don't set them up like that.  Thanks for the feedback. 

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service