Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

This is a disgrace; African American interest groups are destroying standards in the fire service all on the premise of social engineering. Refer to; http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/eyeing_new_fdny_test_qE...

Views: 189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't care who you are or where your from if you can pass the test you don't get the job. Go home and study for it like everyone else and try again. I am sorry not everyone can do what they want if they don't qualify. This is the real world.
Willis your on the money. I work in a depaertment with the majority being african and latino and thats a good thing. The labeling of the FDNY as intentionally discriminating in this day and age just shows that Minority interest groups are Racist in their agenda. 

This is troublesome and a touchy subject, how does one reply to it without insulting someone?

I believe it doesnt matter WHO the firefighter is as long as they can do the job well.  I normally, on a personal level, could care less what color your skin is or what religion you practice or what country you are from...If you treat me with respect I treat you with respect and we all get along.

This practice of making it so that a certain amount of one minority gets a job in the fire service should be non-existant.  We dont want any joe schmoe off the street getting the job simply because they wanted to prove a point or fill some political agenda, we want the person to; A) want the job to help people, and B) to want to work hard to learn the job well and efficiently perform the job.  After that it doesnt matter what you are...Just do the job and select the MOST APPROPRIATE person for that position.

I personally don't care who you are, as long as I can trust you to know what your do & suppose to do when your in the s*** covering me or anyone elses back. I know I have guys that I would go anywhere with & some that I really have to keep an eye on. It has nothing to do with religion or color, it has to do with being able to do the job at hand, understanding it, and having the pride and detemination to be the best at what we do.

Brian, it is epidemic, the problem of the race card being used for financial and career attainment. Two other recent stories are a DC in St Louis and Chicago Litigation awarded moneys for minorities who only took the exam. The NAACP and the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters are a cancer in our trade and society. You mention how do you discuss this issue without offending? How offending is it that these interest groups influence judges, attorneys and politicians to discriminate against people of European descent.

Brian Jones said:

This is troublesome and a touchy subject, how does one reply to it without insulting someone?

I believe it doesnt matter WHO the firefighter is as long as they can do the job well.  I normally, on a personal level, could care less what color your skin is or what religion you practice or what country you are from...If you treat me with respect I treat you with respect and we all get along.

This practice of making it so that a certain amount of one minority gets a job in the fire service should be non-existant.  We dont want any joe schmoe off the street getting the job simply because they wanted to prove a point or fill some political agenda, we want the person to; A) want the job to help people, and B) to want to work hard to learn the job well and efficiently perform the job.  After that it doesnt matter what you are...Just do the job and select the MOST APPROPRIATE person for that position.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service