Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Just thought I would tag on to the discussion Bobby started and focus in a little more.

We advocate that Air Management (AM) is a basic skill. By that we mean that every fire fighter from the newest probie to the seasoned vet should be able to perform according to AM all the time. With that said there are always some basic skills necessary to perform the "task level" requirement of AM.

To provide a comparison I would offer that putting up a ground extension ladder is a basic skill at the "task" level. Before you can safely and effectively put up that ladder you need to know how to carry, raise, and extend the ladder. Then you must practice those skills till they are ingrained through muscle memory to the point that, on the fire ground, you can consider where to put the ladder, overhead lines, etc.

So, what I am asking is:

What are the "skills" you believe are necessary for firefighters to learn AM?

I have my own set that I believe are necessary but want to throw this out to the masses before I opine on my own question.

Phil, "TSG"

Views: 178

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Phil

Personnaly, I think some of the basic stuff are: first,a very good knowledge of the SCBA. We need to make sure everyone understand the purpose, fonctionnig and testing of every part of their SCBA. Second, we need to analize every part of the SCBA and think of what could go wrong or break with this part and if it happend, what can we do correct the situation or to be able to get out safely and third i think we need to experience, in training, running out of air. It can be done sitting in a class with the SCBA on our lap and just shuting the valve ourself at first. We"ll experience the feeling of the mask depressing on our face and see how much time we have to react.

We should also talk about the hyperventilation that happend sometimes.

Then we do some training about it, train, train and train some more. But before make sure everyone is healty and in good physical condition.

Regards
Pascal
P.S. Excuse my english it's my second language

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service