Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

In your departments, is the PIO responsible purely for media relations, or is the PIO responsible for the entire public relations/marketing campaign? How do volunteer departments work it?

My reason for asking is that my department recently went through a strategic planning process. One of the goals our internal stakeholders identified is to establish a quality marketing program making use of all media outlets. I am the department's quasi PIO, and my current duties revolve around keeping a Web site updated, writing press releases as necessary, and producing a quarterly (at best) newsletter. To truly establish this marketing program, I feel I need to better structure my duties as PIO, OR the department should invest in hiring one full time or lumping the PIO duties into the duties of the Fire Marshal or Assistant Fire Marshal. So I'm curious as to how other departments view their PIOs. I'm a volunteer and have a full time job outside of my first due, so obviously if a big fire occurs, I'm not availabl to deal with the media. Basically, the newsletter, Web site, etc. are done in my free time. I'm compensated, but I feel to truly be a good PIO, you need to be able to dedicate more time, and the program needs to be structure.

Lots of questions in there. Sorry if I confused anyone. Any feedback would be great.

Chris Mc Loone

Views: 177

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chris,
I'm under your same pressure. I'm developing this idea of having a PIO in our Volunteer Department as a way to keep good relationship with the media and the public. In our district, the better marketing we can have, more resources we could get. I hope we both we can find some ideas on this post.

Can you share the link to your Fire Department

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service