Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am in the process of putting training and policy together with regards to NFPA 1404 and ROAM for my department. Besides what is in the Air Management book, I am looking for ways to get buy in on this stuff. I know I will meet alot of resistance, especially with the part about not using the last 25% of your air for operational firefighting. It is easy to say that it is an NFPA standard and so we should follow it. What is the best approach for this? What has worked or not worked for you guys?

Views: 205

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Lisa... I am thrilled to hear you are getting your policy together and your troops will be exponentially safer because of your leadership..

Here's a few thoughts on ways to overcome the resistance:

Run some of our drills, listed both in the book and on manageyourair.com, to help them recognize that routine air checks take very little time and do not impeded their ability to be aggressive. We have found the air check actually increases teamwork and situational awareness.

Spend some time discussing what the smoke we are in is made of. This needs to be a very direct discussion that ends with understanding that breathing the smoke is deadly(short and long term) and that doing so has a direct impact on both your personal and firefighter family. At least know the game you're playing if you choose to do business as usual. Show them the Mark Noble video.

Seattle converted to 45 minute bottles, which helped us alot, because the troops were able to keep all the air they had been using in the old 30 minutes bottles and still have the reserve air intact. It made for good work cycles and approriate emergency reserve. We are strong advocates of converting to 45's.

Finally, don't give up or get discouraged. Keep trying implement the actions you know are true and righteous. You will have an impact and you will be viewed as a change agent. We have taken a ton of shots over past years when not many firefighters wanted to hear about air management. Those shots are not enjoyable, but the truth and safety of firefighters matter more than any resistance. You are a breath of fresh air and we're proud to stand by your side to train the troops.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. I'm off to Colorado to do a couple classes but feel free to call me if you'd like to chat further about making it happen.

Ride to the soudn of guns!

Mike

425-238-2928
Lisa I too am meeting some ultimate resistance. My guys have this attitude that this will not work and etc. I plan to keep on fighting the good fight and i hope you will also. I have even tried the whole NFPA bit on them and it didn't faze them. I will keep an eye on your response on here to see what if anything that you try, i might be able to use.

Good Luck!

Scott
Hats off to you guys. You have created a great program and have done the fire service a great benefit by bringing air management to the forefront.

I implemented a real simple air management program in my department for my entire shift. I used your PPT and a simple fire ground course. We recorded everyones times. Now everyone has an individual air management report and our numbers on our helmets. The program was well recieved by the guys and I have to give credit to you, my sincere thanks.
'
Here is where my story takes a turn. I have a Chief that does not agree with air management. I did not "change" anything in our department, just helped the guys have a better understanding of whats on our backs. We have hour bottles and did some training when we first got them, but did not complete a consumption test or individual air management report. Majority of our fire fighters didn't have a good understanding of how much time they had on their backs or how much in each zone. After sitting in your class at FDIC, I took it back to our department and have improved our fire fighters understanding of their air supply. I know you guys talk a lot about having problems with fire fighter buy in, but what about CHIEFs buy in?

Again, thanks a lot.
Nick... I am on the road but will try and reply back over the weekend.

Just wanted to shoot you a quick note to never stop in leading in spite of the lack of leadership all around you. You are doing the right thing and I bet it feels great. I'm proud to serve with you in our great profession, brother...

Mike
Lisa,
I did what Nick did and introduced “ROAM” to my shift. I used FE’s webcast with PPT for shift training. We talked about the deadly poison we call smoke and how breathing it will kill you. We also determined everyone’s rate of air consumption at rest and plan to complete the TES2 SCBA course to determine their rates at work. I drafted an SOP which is now waiting for signature. I am sure some resistance will be met, but my shift now understands that air = time.

Debora
Guys, thanks for all of your help. I used all of your suggestions over the past year and brought the training out to the shifts. There were alot of "nay sayers" whose questions/comments I was able to refute point by point. So now, exactly one year since my first post, I am happy to say that the department "nay sayers" have totally bought into air management and I have learned to be a little more patient.
Lisa...

Just wanted to quietly say.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

How does it feel to lead?

Your people are safer and your operations will be smoother. How cool is that?

It's a privilage to stand at your side...

Mike

Lisa Fairfield said:
Guys, thanks for all of your help. I used all of your suggestions over the past year and brought the training out to the shifts. There were alot of "nay sayers" whose questions/comments I was able to refute point by point. So now, exactly one year since my first post, I am happy to say that the department "nay sayers" have totally bought into air management and I have learned to be a little more patient.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service