Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

On Firehouse Zen today I posted a reflection on the collaborative effort undertaken by the Seattle and Raleigh Fire Departments to use the lessons learned from Raleigh's 2009 TDA rollover to teach others.  What resulted was an excellent video that should be viewed by ALL drivers, much less TDA chauffeurs and tiller operators.

While the value of the video and the lessons learned is without question, the point I actually want to make is that we as an industry have a lot to learn from each other.  We have so many tools out there in which we can facilitate those efforts: The Secret List, social media, attending conferences, or just asking questions. This is truly the value in networking, not the trading of patches (not that there's anything wrong with that) or discussion on POV lighting.

I have been in the fire service for 31 years and while I have seen much, I have certainly not seen it all.  But so, neither have you.  We must share our experiences and learn from each other or be cursed to learn the hard way (through personal experience in often less-than-desirable situations).

Do you have innovative partnerships that you have developed between your organization and others?  With community partners or corporate/departmental partnerships?  Or anyone else for that matter; if you have something you have done that is pretty striking, I'd appreciate it if you share it.  We all can learn from each other and we all should do just that.

Hope to hear from you all,

Mick Mayers

Firehouse Zen

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Note: I meant to add this link as well and failed to do it: <a href="http://www.fireengineering.com/index/articles/display.articles.fire-engineering.apparatus-__tools.2011.04.rollover-video.html">The Fire Engineering article that spurred my interest</a>.  I like to give credit where credit is due.

Mick:

Using you as an example, your blog has been dedicated to educating firefighters and most notably, leadership and thinking outside the box.

Ignorance is no longer an excuse and we have the Internet and related technologies to thank for that.

Even if there are those who are "old school" and prefer to wait for the printed magazine, there exists an abundance of information that is beneficial.

It boils down to taking the time to assemble information and then taking the time to read it by those interested enough to learn.

It should be a never-ending cycle.

TCSS.

Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service