Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

i am in the process of specing our departments first ladder truck/Quint and would appreciate a list of equipment and how you have it laid out in the compartments.

You can email them to me Ryan@bonitafire.org

Thanks brothers

Views: 1510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ground ladders ground ladders ground ladders you never have enough.

Invest in real halligans (30 inch solid), NY roof Hooks various lengths, 2 hydra ram, multiple k 12 and chain saws, 8lb axes. Spec you cab big enough so that you can safely mount tools were the guys can get to them in the cab!!

Set you truck up for what you do. If you run your truck on alot of house fires then set up the tools for that. If you run more MVA's with it then set it up for that btu make it so the guys don't have to run laps in order to get what they need.
Good stuff, thanks brother.
Good tips thanks,

Our ladder is not going to be as big as yours, we ordered a Sutphen SP-70, 70' platform on a single axle. We will be using this quint as our only ladder company and it will also be ALS capable. Our neighbors to the north and south have 100' platforms with a mutal aid agreement. We have 231 cubic feeet of comparment space.

Do you have a detailed equipment list that you could send me? if so, Ryan@bonitafire.org

Thanks

Dan Ryan
The biggest task is laying out your equipment for the tasks at hand. I ride a ladder and will tell you the basics we have. Tarps, lots of them, the more the better. Shovels, scoops, squeeges, The more fans the better (positive and negative pressure.) K-12 with multiple blades, chainsaw, Ground lighting, Hand tools. Good Luck
I couldn't agree more with Robert Owens' comment. Get quality tools!! When ever we get a new piece of apparatus, they always come with crappy tools. You know the ones I'm talking about; those pinned Hooligans or whatever they call them. FDNY style roof hooks rock because they are very versatile. Stay away from "closet hooks". Make sure the ladders you get are one's you'll use. We always get a "San Jose" ladder (not sure if that's the actual name or what) but it never got used because we couldn't find an application for it that wasn't covered by a folding attic ladder. By the same token, a 6 foot step ladder is a great tool for us, but we don't get them with the truck. At least some of our ladder companies took their station step ladder and mounted it on the truck. Multiple saws are a great idea. The guys who say, "Just change the blade if you need to." never had to do that at night with an engine company breathing down their neck to get in or getting cooked inside because of the delay in ventilation. Get what is required by I.S.O. or NFPA and then add the stuff you'll need and use. Good luck.
Chris

Hey Dan,

One thing I might suggest for a Quint is to have a pull out tool board in the full height compartmets aft of the pump ( spec to have the door open opposite, away from the pump, if it is a hinged door).  Then you can mount all of your hose fittings and adapters right on the tool board within very close and easy reach for the pump operator.  A six or eight foot step ladder is a must and/or a "Little Giant" adjustable step ladder.  We have both and use them often.  Our Quint has a hydraulic generator and we have a protable generator as well.  After delivery we were able to measure a compartment and purchase a chest style tool box that fit perfectly and mount it to the compartment.  Its drawers lock and do not slop around and we carry a host of hand tools and various things in it; works great.  Another suggestion is to get the nozzle companies to come to your station to give you a demo for your master stream/tower operations nozzle options.  As you know, many of them offer different kinds of capabilities and you will want to be sure to purchase the one that is right for you and your applications.  As someone else had mentioned, NFPA publishes a guidline for basic equipment needs for various apparatus; we used the guideline for Quints as our baseline and it relly takes alot of the guess work out of it.  Certainly this is a minimum type guideline, but it gives you a solid foundation to work from.  I encourage you to reach out to your mutual aid ladder companies as well.  See what resources they have and compare to what you have or are looking at and see where you can fill a void.  Of course many of the items on your truck will be similar in nature, but in terms of specialized equipment, there is no sense duplicating services in a situation in which that resource may already be on scene or will be called.  I definately suggest discussing this with your mutual aid partners and see what kinds of things will benefit them as much as you and vice versa.

Best of luck!

~Bill

Dan Ryan said:

Good tips thanks,

Our ladder is not going to be as big as yours, we ordered a Sutphen SP-70, 70' platform on a single axle. We will be using this quint as our only ladder company and it will also be ALS capable. Our neighbors to the north and south have 100' platforms with a mutal aid agreement. We have 231 cubic feeet of comparment space.

Do you have a detailed equipment list that you could send me? if so, Ryan@bonitafire.org

Thanks

Dan Ryan

Dan

We just got a new 75' Sutphen ladder and two of the changes that I would make is : Don't go with the raised roof as it cuts down how far you can lower the ladder over the cab, and I would put a ladder to the platform on the officer's side too. We are very happy with the truck lay out. We have a hyd. generator with tools, k 12 and  vent saw, axees, halligan bars, pike poles, cribbing, air pack and spare bottles. PPV, 150' 1 3/4  high rise pack, 1000' of 5" hose 300' of 2 1/2 hose 600' of 1 3/4 hose  and im sure there are a few other idem that I have missed

Good luck

al

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peterp@pennwell.com.

Roundtable

What steps has your department taken to add this "evolution" or assignment of door control in your department? How would your department handle this fire usng the new procedure? CLICK HERE to send us your reply.

FE Talk Radio

Friday at 7:30 p.m. EDT

"F.O.O.L.S. Radio"

with

Fraternal Order of Leatherheads Society

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING SHOWS

Ricky Riley, Dan Shaw, Doug Mitchell & Nick Martin

© 2014   Created by fireeng.