Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

does anyone have a sop or guide lines on the service life of thier turn out gear, or does anyone know of a standard that is out there. Joe K from NJ

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Evening,

I believe 5 to 10 years (or until a new requirement comes along like the reflective requirement), with wear inspections
based on Manufactures suggestions. Based on MIOSHA Part 33 for Michigan state, we have developed a monthly check
sheet. The firefighter completes the check list and signs that they check it. Any problems are noted on the report
and brought to the attention of a officer.
Joe, Take a look at NFPA 1971 Standard on Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting.

As Dave mentions you will need to look at the specific of the document but the 10 year mark is what jumped out at at me when I read your request.

I hope this helps.

Stay Safe.

P.J.
NFPA 1851, 2008 EDITION
Standard on Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting.

Originally published in February of 2001 and revised in June of 2008, this Standard deals with fire departments' selection and care of Personal Protective Equipment. The standard contains chapters on administration, definitions, program, selection, inspection, cleaning and decontamination, repair, storage, retirement, verification and test procedures.

Fire Department Requirements instituted by NFPA 1851 (2008 edition)

• Remove from service and retire all structural gear that is over ten years old (from date of manufacture);
• Perform routine inspections of gear after each use;
• Get department “verified” by their protective clothing manufacturer to conduct advanced inspections of gear or contract an independent service provider (ISP);
• Conduct complete liner inspections involving separating the two layers after the third year of service and annually thereafter;
• Document the advanced inspections performed every 12 months or whenever routine inspections indicate a problem;
• Revise standard operating procedures to include selection, care, and maintenance activities addressed by NFPA 1851.

This is only a summary. The complete standard can be purchased from NFPA.

Hope this helps....Take Care and Stay Safe!
Walter
this is what i was looking for. thanks to all who replied to my question. i want to thank everyone. Joe K from NJ

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service